Monday, November 26, 2012

  Emerson and Whittier put these things in the wastepaper-basket


  Emerson and Whittier put these things in the wastepaper-basket; andthough only a literary nursery-maid who provides moral pap for theyoung, I will follow their illustrious example; for I shall have notime to eat or sleep if I try to satisfy these dear unreasonablechildren'; and Mrs Jo swept away the entire batch with a sigh ofrelief.

  'I'll open the others and let you eat your breakfast in peace, liebeMutter,' said Rob, who often acted as her secretary. 'Here's one fromthe South'; and breaking an imposing seal, he read:

  'MADAM, As it has pleased Heaven to bless your effortswith a large fortune, I feel no hesitation in asking youto supply funds to purchase a new communion-service forour church. To whatever denomination you belong, you willof course respond with liberality to such a request,'Respectfully yours,'MRS X.Y. ZAVIER'

  'Send a civil refusal, dear. All I have to give must go to feed andclothe the poor at my gates. That is my thank-offering for success.

  Go on,' answered his mother, with a grateful glance about her happyhome.

  'A literary youth of eighteen proposes that you put your name to anovel he has written; and after the first edition your name is to betaken off and his put on. There's a cool proposal for you. I guessyou won't agree to that, in spite of your soft-heartedness towardsmost of the young scribblers.'

  'Couldn't be done. Tell him so kindly, and don't let him send themanuscript. I have seven on hand now, and barely time to read myown,' said Mrs Jo, pensively fishing a small letter out of theslop-bowl and opening it with care, because the down-hill addresssuggested that a child wrote it.

  'I will answer this myself. A little sick girl wants a book, and sheshall have it, but I can't write sequels to all the rest to pleaseher. I should never come to an end if I tried to suit these voraciouslittle Oliver Twists, clamouring for more. What next, Robin?'

  'This is short and sweet.

  'DEAR MRS BHAER, I am now going to give you my opinion ofyour works. I have read them all many times, and call themfirst-rate. Please go ahead.

  'Your admirer,'BILLY BABCOCK'

  'Now that is what I like. Billy is a man of sense and a critic worthhaving, since he had read my works many times before expressing hisopinion. He asks for no answer, so send my thanks and regards.'

  'Here's a lady in England with seven girls, and she wishes to knowyour views upon education. Also what careers they shall follow theoldest being twelve. Don't wonder she's worried,' laughed Rob.

  'I'll try to answer it. But as I have no girls, my opinion isn'tworth much and will probably shock her, as I shall tell her to letthem run and play and build up good, stout bodies before she talksabout careers. They will soon show what they want, if they are letalone, and not all run in the same mould.'

  'Here's a fellow who wants to know what sort of a girl he shallmarry, and if you know of any like those in your stories.'

  'Give him Nan's address, and see what he'll get,' proposed Ted,privately resolving to do it himself if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment