Monday, November 26, 2012

  Tell me what I must do


  "Tell me what I must do, and I will do it," she said, with the quietdespair of one who submits to the inevitable, but will not complain.

  When Christie with difficulty told her that she should give up herlover, Bella bowed her head, and for a moment could not speak, thenlifted it as if defying her own weakness, and spoke out bravely:

  "It shall be done, for it is right. It is very hard for me, becauseI love him; he will not suffer much, for he can love again. I shouldbe glad of that, and I'll try to wish it for his sake. He is young,and if, as Harry says, he cares more for my fortune than myself, somuch the better. What next, Christie?"Amazed and touched at the courage of the creature she had fancied asort of lovely butterfly to be crushed by a single blow, Christietook heart, and, instead of soothing sympathy, gave her the solacebest fitted for strong natures, something to do for others. Whatinspired her, Christie never knew; perhaps it was the year ofself-denying service she had rendered for pity's sake; such devotionis its own reward, and now, in herself, she discovered unsuspectedpowers.

  "Live for your mother and your brothers, Bella; they need yousorely, and in time I know you will find true consolation in it,although you must relinquish much. Sustain your mother, cheerAugustine, watch over Harry, and be to them what Helen longed tobe.""And fail to do it, as she failed!" cried Bella, with a shudder.

  "Listen, and let me give you this hope, for I sincerely do believeit. Since I came here, I have read many books, thought much, andtalked often with Dr. Shirley about this sad affliction. He thinksyou and Harry may escape it, if you will. You are like your motherin temperament and temper; you have self-control, strong wills, goodnerves, and cheerful spirits. Poor Harry is willfully spoiling allhis chances now; but you may save him, and, in the endeavor, saveyourself.""Oh, Christie, may I hope it? Give me one chance of escape, and Iwill suffer any hardship to keep it. Let me see any thing before mebut a life and death like Helen's, and I'll bless you for ever!"cried Bella, welcoming this ray of light as a prisoner welcomessunshine in his cell.

  Christie trembled at the power of her words, yet, honestly believingthem, she let them uplift this disconsolate soul, trusting that theymight be in time fulfilled through God's mercy and the saving graceof sincere endeavor.

  Holding fast to this frail spar, Bella bravely took up arms againsther sea of troubles, and rode out the storm. When her lover came toknow his fate, she hid her heart, and answered "no," finding abitter satisfaction in the end, for Harry was right, and, when thefortune was denied him, young Butler did not mourn the woman long.

  Pride helped Bella to bear it; but it needed all her courage to lookdown the coming years so bare of all that makes life sweet toyouthful souls, so desolate and dark, with duty alone to cheer thethorny way, and the haunting shadow of her race lurking in thebackground.

  Submission and self-sacrifice are stern, sad angels, but in time onelearns to know and love them, for when they have chastened, theyuplift and bless. Dimly discerning this, poor Bella put her hands intheirs, saying, "Lead me, teach me; I will follow and obey you."All soon felt that they could not stay in a house so full of heavymemories, and decided to return to their old home. They beggedChristie to go with them, using every argument and entreaty theiraffection could suggest. But Christie needed rest, longed forfreedom, and felt that in spite of their regard it would be veryhard for her to live among them any longer. Her healthy natureneeded brighter influences, stronger comrades, and the memory ofHelen weighed so heavily upon her heart that she was eager to forgetit for a time in other scenes and other work.

No comments:

Post a Comment