Sunday, December 2, 2012

  'One of two things will happen


  'One of two things will happen. You will find someone else to love,or, better still, be so busy and happy in your music that you will bewilling to wait for time to settle the matter for you both. Daisywill perhaps forget when you are gone, and be glad you are onlyfriends. At any rate it is much wiser to have no promises made; thenboth are free, and in a year or two may meet to laugh over the littleromance nipped in the bud.'

  'Do you honestly think that?' asked Nat, looking at her so keenlythat the truth had to come; for all his heart was in those frank blueeyes of his.

  'No, I don't!' answered Mrs Jo. 'Then if you were in my place, whatwould you do,WEBSITE:?' he added, with a tone of command never heard in hisgentle voice before,fake foamposites.

  'Bless me! the boy is in dead earnest, and I shall forget prudence insympathy I'm afraid,' thought Mrs Jo, surprised and pleased by theunexpected manliness Nat showed.

  'I'll tell you what I should do. I'd say to myself:

  "I'll prove that my love is strong and faithful, and make Daisy'smother proud to give her to me by being not only a good musician butan excellent man, and so command respect and confidence. This I willtry for; and if I fail, I shall be the better for the effort, andfind comfort in the thought that I did my best for her sake."'

  'That is what I meant to do. But I wanted a word of hope to give mecourage,' cried Nat, firing up as if the smouldering spark was setablaze by a breath of encouragement. 'Other fellows, poorer andstupider than I, have done great things and come to honour. Why maynot I, though I'm nothing now? I know Mrs Brooke remembers what Icame from, but my father was honest though everything went wrong; andI have nothing to be ashamed of though I was a charity boy. I neverwill be ashamed of my people or myself, and I'll make other folksrespect me if I can.'

  'Good! that's the right spirit, Nat. Hold to it and make yourself aman. No one will be quicker to see and admire the brave work than mysister Meg. She does not despise your poverty or your past; butmothers are very tender over their daughters, and we Marches, thoughwe have been poor, are, I confess, a little proud of our good family.

  We don't care for money; but a long line of virtuous ancestors issomething to desire and to be proud of.'

  'Well, the Blakes are a good lot. I looked 'em up, and not one wasever in prison, hanged, or disgraced in any way. We used to be richand honoured years ago, but we've died out and got poor, and fatherwas a street musician rather than beg; and I'll be one again beforeI'll do the mean things some men do and pass muster.'

  Nat was so excited that Mrs Jo indulged in a laugh to calm him, andboth went on more quietly,Website.

  'I told my sister all that and it pleased her. I am sure if you dowell these next few years that she will relent and all be happilysettled, unless that wonderful change, which you don't believepossible,cheap north face down jackets, should occur. Now, cheer up; don't be lackadaisical andblue. Say good-bye cheerfully and bravely, show a manly front, andleave a pleasant memory behind you. We all wish you well and hopemuch for you. Write to me every week and I'll send a good, gossipyanswer. Be careful what you write to Daisy; don't gush or wail, forsister Meg will see the letters; and you can help your cause verymuch by sending sensible, cheery accounts of your life to us all.'

No comments:

Post a Comment